For healthier communication, try to:
- Find the Right Time. If something is bothering you and you would like to have a conversation about it, it can be helpful to find the right time to talk.
- Talk Face to Face. Avoid talking about serious matters or issues in writing.
- Do Not Attack. Even when we mean well, we can sometimes come across as harsh because of our word choice. Instead, try using “I” or “we.”
- Be Honest. Agree to be honest. Sometimes the truth hurts, but it’s the key to a healthy relationship. Admit that you aren’t always perfect and apologize when you make a mistake instead of making excuses.
- Check Your Body Language. Let your partner know you’re really listening by giving them your full attention: sit up, face them and make eye contact when speaking.